Overview: Arcadia is starting a summer camp! We’re looking for Counselors for our pilot season in July 2012. Counselors will be primarily responsible for an age-specific group of children during two one-week sessions at our working farm on the grounds of Woodlawn, a National Trust Historic Site, in Alexandria, VA.
At Arcadia Farm Camp, we seek to connect children to where their food comes from through hands-on farming, cooking, and eating experiences. Campers will develop an understanding of food origins, seasonality, sustainable agriculture, historic preservation, land conservation, and culinary arts.
Reports to: Arcadia Farm Camp Team Leader and Farm Education Coordinator. Counselors will also interact with the DC Farm to School Network Manager, Arcadia Farm Director and other counselors.
Hours: The pilot season of Arcadia Farm Camp runs from July 16 to July 27 (Monday –Friday from 7:00am – 5:30pm). Counselors will also participate in three days of training from July 13 to July 15.
Compensation: A $1000 stipend is available for the duration of the program.
Location: Arcadia Farm Camp will take place at Arcadia Farm, 9000 Richmond Highway, Alexandria, VA.
- Implement curriculum based on exploration of Arcadia Farm.
- Lead an age-specific group of students for week-long programs. Campers range in age from 6 to 10 years old.
- Lead farm chores with children.
- Effectively supervise all assigned campers during camp hours.
- Help with set-up and clean-up of camp area.
- Serve as a role model for campers and mentor junior staff.
- Share supervision of mealtime, recreation time and before and after care.
- Attend mandatory training sessions and staff meetings.
- Communicate with parents as needed.
- Participate in program evaluation.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Experience and enthusiasm for working with children ages 6-10
- An enthusiasm for sustainable agriculture and the environment;
- A willingness to get dirty, work with animals and in the garden;
- Excellent communication and organizational skills;
- An ability to work independently and carry out lesson plans;
- Dependable, mature, and an excellent role model to children;
- Experience in environmental education, sustainable agriculture, and/or culinary arts preferred;
- Basic First Aid/CPR Certification (Adult/Children/Infant) or ability to obtain certification;
- Must undergo background check;
- Must be at least 21 years old; and
- Must be available July 13-27.
To apply: Send a resume, cover letter, and two references to Farm Education Coordinator Liz Whitehurst (firstname.lastname@example.org) by April 10.
Arcadia is committed to diversity in the workplace. People of color, LGBTQ and multilingual people are encouraged to apply
Arcadia Center for Sustainable Food & Agriculture is dedicated to creating a more equitable and sustainable food system and culture in the Washington, DC area and a collaborative space for the many local efforts and initiatives around better food. Our mission is to improve the health of our community, the viability of local farmers, and preserve our environment for future generations by combining education about healthy food and its sources with better logistical connections between local farmers and the urban and suburban core of the region.